From the time I was seven, I had a dream of becoming a member of the Students Union. I always my school leaders for taking responsibility for all of us. So I dreamed of being a leader like them.
Years _ _ by, and soon I was able to take part in the elections, I would win. But the reality was that I hadn’t had a chance. I wasn’t beautiful. Girls across the school hardly knew me. I just did not have what it to win a school election. I was .
As I cried in my room that evening, I suddenly took a deep breath and decided I wouldn’t stop dreaming. I decided that I would for elections again in my final year at school — and I would make every effort to the election.
I recognized that my rivals had a lot of things in their favor. What were the points that would work in _ _ favor? I had good grades, and I was friendly and helpful. And my biggest was the faith I had. I would not allow my plain appearance to hold me _ _ from putting my best foot forward. That evening, I my election plans a whole year ahead of time.
I realized that girls would have to get to know me and recognize that I had the ability to them. I loved making friends and I liked being helpful, I decided that perhaps I could use these qualities to work to my advantage. In order to learn how to present a great election , I also attended a course on effective public speaking.
The day after the election, when the principal announced I won the second highest number of votes, the students . That joy on the faces of all my friends showed me that my victory was theirs.
Suddenly, I realized that I had much more than I had dreamed of. I had made many new friends and had helped people along the way. I had won the and love of my school-mates and they me as somebody who would stand by them. I was able to put a smile on their faces and their day.
1.A. praised B. remembered C. admired D. believed
2.A. flied B. flowed C. flew D. passed
3.A. pretending B. planning C. hoping D. judging
4.A. took B. provided C. meant D. offered
5.A. concerned B. angry C. surprised D. upset
6.A. enter B. speak C. pay D. wait
7.A. win B. beat C. defeat D. earn
8.A. their B. your C. my D. our
9.A. problem B. worry C. strength D. dream
10.A. in B. back C. out D. up
11.A. discussed B. began C. announced D. challenged
12.A. reconsider B. accompany C. support D. represent
13.A. but B. and C. or D. so
14.A. speech B. capsule C. meeting D. promise
15.A. nodded B. gathered C. cried D. cheered
16. A. also B. still C. almost D. only
17.A. accomplished B. absorbed C. devoted D. developed
18.A. announcement B. admission C. recognition D. arrangement
19.A. thought B. spoke C. considered D. said
20.A. enlarge B. brighten C. wish D. experience
2. flowed by：流过flew：飞逝，快速过去passed by：经过，走过。没有flied by短语。根据语境“时光飞逝，很快我能够参加选举了”，故选C。
4. took：拿，需要，花费provided：提供meant：意味着offered：提供，供给。 根据语境“学校几乎没有女孩子认识我，我没有赢得学校选举需要的东西”，故选A。
7. I would win暗示可知“赢得选举”用win。故选A。
10. hold in：拿着；抱住hold back：阻止，退缩hold out：拿出； 呈现hold up：举起，支撑 根据语境“我不能让我平庸的表现阻止我举步向前”，故选B。
11. discussed：讨论began开始announced：宣称，声明challenged：挑战 根据语境“那个晚上，我提前一年开始了我的选举计划”。故选B。
14. capsule：胶囊meeting：会议promise：承诺。分析语境“为了学习怎样出席一个选举演讲活动，我还参加了一个公共的演讲课程”。根据语境后文中的a course on effective public speaking，故选A。
16. also：也，还 still ：仍然almost：几乎only：仅仅 根据语境“我所有朋友脸上的笑容告诉我：我的胜利也是她们的胜利”，故选A。
17. accomplished：完成，实现 absorbed：吸收devoted：致力于；投入于developed：发展。根据语境“突然间，我意识到我已经实现了比梦想的还要多的东西”，故选A。
19. thought：想spoke：说，讲considered：考虑said：说。根据语境“而且她们把我看作会一直支持她们的人”，固定结构consider sb. as：把某人看作….. 故选C。
With proper measures，the economy in China is beginning to ________again.
A．break up B．pick up
C．put up D．take up
【解析】考查动词短语辨析。此处表示“中国的经济又开始好转了”，故选B。break up解散，破裂；pick up提高，好转；put up张贴，建造；take up占据，开始从事。